15 May 2010

You know you are a nerd when...

I know this might come as a huge surprise to some of you. In fact, I am sure that there are some of you who are thinking, "How could someone who thought that studying Comparative Social Policy (whatever that means) for two years possibly be a little on the bookish side?" I know. Your world is being rocked right now. If so, you might as well sit down, because it is only going to get worse.

You see, I have pretty much always been a nerd. Maybe the only thing that has changed is my ability to pretend that I am not (or to just deceive myself). I mean, when I was in 3rd grade (and beyond--I think I continued this practice until the 5th or 6th grade. It might have been cute when a brace-faced--first in my class baby--third grader, but I am sure I had lost my cute factor by the age of 10 or 11.) I used to get so interested in the latest Boxcar Children book or whatever I was reading that I couldn't put it down. Literally.

I would walk from the classroom to the restroom, take care of my business, line back up, and walk back to class without losing my place. (No, I don't care to speculate as to how I managed all of this, and I have since blocked it out.) I should have known then that I would never fully outgrow these types of habits.

A few weeks ago, I ran a few books back to the library. Yes, I went for a jog and ran with the books under my arm. There are a few notable points here. First, this is relatively normal here. Well, it isn't as if it ever happens, but the running probably seemed more weird to people than the running with books part. Truly. Second, this is an indication of the way that I am forced to think in the pre-exams run up. It is all about efficiency. Since I am going to be running anyway, why not do two things at once? Why waste the extra 3 minutes that it would have taken to bike by the library on my way home? Because that is 3 minutes that I can use to do something more important. Like draft a blog-post.

Ok, so that didn't exactly happen. I can't account for those three minutes. My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment